Sunday, August 09, 2009

CRE Day 3 – One Set of Red and Puffy Eyes


Day 3 – August 5, 2009
Embedded Civilian Report


Last night we were told that there was a polar bear swim this morning at 6 am. The other troop in our camp was going with a big group. I told our troop that I was going to go and anyone was welcome to join me. There were a few that said they wanted to go.


I awoke to the sound of a whippoorwill as I prepared for the swim before 6. I went out and walked among our tents to see if there was anyone stirring. I couldn't remember who said they were interested let alone which tent they were in! Would have been nice to have gathered this information last night! I was up anyway so I wandered down after the other troop left and got down there just before 6. Unfortunately, everyone was already buddied up and in the swim area. The best part was the scouts sticking in their hands and saying it felt warm – which it probably did on their hands. When they all jumped in at 6, the cries of shock and disbelief clearly indicated that it wasn't as warm as they had expected.


I returned to camp and by time I had changed out of my swimsuit the camp was starting to awaken. At 7:00 the loudspeaker blared the bugle call.




(Just a note here. I'm sure there are a few readers, most likely moms of scouts at camp the first time, who at this point are saying "He must be using pictures from yesterday since they are wearing the same clothes they wore all week." I can assure you that my pictures are accurate. I can also almost guarantee that most of the clothes you send with them to camp will come home, if not clean, at least unworn…. It amazes me how many times a swimsuit can be worn with just a little rinse in the lake each day.)


Our morning wake up song was "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. There was some limited dancing and I have to admit that none of the scouts joined me. However, there were a number of them singing and trust me, they were "starting to feel good!"




Intro at the parade grounds in front of the buttress involved "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to camp we go…" sung with a British accent (scoutmaster must be making an impression on the group). Some of the less enthusiastic scouts (aka, those over 13) do not participate. Breakfast is the same yellow processed cardboard waffles that we got at heater stack at Goshen; fortunately, today we get plenty of syrup, and link sausages.


A hike up the hill to clean up tents for inspection – we got a 98 yesterday as two tents were a little sloppy – and they are off to do what scouts do at camp – earn merit badges!


I made my best attempts to capture what each of the scouts were doing, but I honestly don't know where some of them are being held and "action" shots of them sitting and listening to a lecture reflect camp as an sort of boring think akin to school and so the BSA has asked me not to publish any such photos. I'm kidding. At least about the BSA request part.


Cameron and Spencer prepping for their back float requirement.




Jacob, Bryce, and Nathaniel doing a relief carving.




Reuben and Robert canoeing while Kevin works on his footstool.




Kyle, Daniel and Jacob at the range. No shots from Archery since they were busy making their arrows today so they didn't get to shoot.








Second and third rotations found a few different activities.




Patrick & Nathaniel at woodcarving and leatherwork. Jacob and Patrick at swimming. Robert, hmm, I believe this in Indian Lore – he must be telling a story about a famous chief. Cameron at art admiring his project. This last picture, I'm not going to venture a guess as to what has caused the bubbles right behind Patrick.


I went out to see if I could get some pictures of the environmental science guys. Their class is at the nature cabin. Wow! I thought rifle was a long ways out there. It is really hike out to that cabin. I'm again re-thinking my size analysis and think this is a very wide camp. Unfortunately, to add insult to exercise, they have already left to go do observations. Since I have a few spare minutes, I hike up to their new "chapel" on the hill above camp.




We have been looking for the rock enon all week. I see a few from there that might be it, but the pictures are not that clear…..


After lunch today I challenge the troop to an obstical course that is down on field sports. Many in the troop were too afraid to try, but here are some pictures of those who had to guts to go for glory!


Those are Nathaniel, Bryce, Jacob, and Cameron. The last picture is the scoutmaster. Jacob Hamm and I were the only other participants. Everyone made it all the way and no one took over 1 minute and 25 seconds. Nice job guys! And my old bones, well, let's just say I finished near the top and the scoutmaster will be feeling his attempt in the morning.…


After lunch it was back to the rock face for this instructor in training. Kolby got close to the top of the first climb and Daniel made it to the top. Jacob and Daniel were 2 of only 3 to make it to the top of my climb. Jacob was able to make it to the top all the climbs. The climb I was belaying was really hard because you really had to have upper body strength to pull yourself up some places with no footholds. Here I am belaying Jeremiah as he is at the point where most guys got stuck as they had to do a serious pull up. Unfortunately, due to the fact that repelling takes place on Thursday and Friday, I'm unable to complete my instructor training. Looks like I go home with just a partial. Hmm, reason to come back….tuck that one away…..


After climbing I went and packed up my stuff. I had time to catch some of the last of Citizenship in the World. When I arrived they were just getting ready to be taught how to play Mayan Football – a ring of rope, and two long polls were the only required equipment.
You can see Jacob, Reuben and Austin in this picture – or at least I can, it helps that I have seen them in those same clothes for a number of days now ;)


And once again it is time for me to go. It is always sweet sorrow at parting. I'm glad to be going home, but I do love it at camp. I smile through my red puffy eyes (tears of sorry or joy?) as I pull out of camp. (and I might add – mine were the only red puffy eyes I saw all day today).


Thanks for a great 3 days scouts! I find myself wondering how it ended up. Did the wilderness survival guys survive the night? Did the swimmers swim? Did the rifle and archery guys hit their qualifying marks? Did the space exploration rockets look better or worse than the engines that flew out of the camp fire? Did they ever serve pudding again? Did they need ponchos (there was not a drop of rain the entire time I was at camp)?


I'll anxiously await these answers on their return…



No comments: